Home / Football / League One Review: 24 September

League One Review: 24 September

It was another entertaining afternoon of football in League One, and as usual, The Sports Lowdown has you covered. Here is your League One Review:


Scunthorpe United 2-2 Sheffield United

Scunthorpe remain top of League One despite conceding a late equaliser at home to ten man Sheffield United.

But it was the visitors, who had won four in succession heading into this game, that took the lead after half an hour, when Chris Basham rounded off a well worked free kick.

Paul Coutts could have doubled the Blades advantage before the break, but his effort was off target.

And the Iron levelled proceedings after the break; Josh Morris surged into the box and struck home his eighth goal of the season.

With the hosts in the ascendancy, the visitors were then reduced to ten men when Basham was dismissed for a challenge on Neal Bishop.

And then with seven minutes remaining, Duane Holmes looked like he’d won the game for the hosts with a low drive past Simon Moore.

But, just two minutes later, former Scunthorpe striker Billy Sharpe levelled from the spot after Stefan Scougall was fouled by David Mirfin.



Bury 2-1 Chesterfield

A late Tom Pope goal sent Bury up to second with victory over Chesterfield.

The host’s began stronger, and created a couple of early chances through Zeli Ismail.

But Chesterfield came closest to scoring when Conor Wilkinson’s free kick struck the post, moments before Ismail volleyed home the opener for the hosts.

But just three minutes later with half time approaching, Kristian Dennis bundled home the equaliser.

After the restart, Chesterfield pressed for the winner, having won just one from five games, but it was the Shakers that snatched all three points when Pope netted his fifth goal of the season.


Bolton Wanderers 0-0 Bradford City

Phil Parkinson’s Bolton and his former club Bradford shared the spoils as two of the early promotion chasers played out a goalless draw a the Macron Stadium.

It was the first time the two sides met since 1998, but it was a dull affair.

Bolton created more goalscoring chances, but as has been the case in recent weeks, they’ve failed to convert. Sammy Ameobi came close inside the first minute, but he was denied by Colin Doyle.

Jamie Proctor, a former Bantam, came close for the Trotters, before Ameobi was again denied by Doyle.

For the visitors, supported by just under 4,500 travelling fans among a crowd of over 17,000, it was a fifth successive draw, but Grant McCann’s side are still among the early pacesetters.


Northampton Town 4-0 Southend United

Northampton bounced back from last weekends defeat and their loss to Manchester United in the cup with a comfortable victory at home to Southend.

Despite a goalless first half, the Cobblers upped the anti after the restart, and were two goals up after just six second half minutes. First, John-Joe O’Toole pounced on a rebound to open the scoring, before Jason Demetriou was dismissed for the visitors after a foul inside the box, which resulted in Alex Revell doubling the advantage from the spot.

Matt Taylor added a third with a stunning 30 yard free kick, before Paul Anderson added a fourth with just over ten minutes remaining.


Bristol Rovers 2-1 Port Vale

Bristol Rovers came from a goal down to earn all three points in their clash with Port Vale.

The Valiants took a 23rd minute lead when a defensive mix up from the hosts lead to Martin Paterson slotting home from inside the box.

But Rovers, who had the better of the opening exchanges, soon levelled through Ellis Harrison’s deep header before the break.

In the second half, the Gas took the lead from the spot after Paulo Tavares fouled Byron Moore, and Jermaine Easter converted the spot kick.

Both sides created further opportunities, but Darrell Clarke’s side held on for the win.


Gillingham 2-1 Coventry City

Coventry remain bottom of League One as they succumbed to defeat at Gillingham.

Despite behind the scenes situations involving the Sky Blues, with regards to owners, Tony Mowbray’s side took the lead in this encounter through Kyel Reid, but the Gills levelled five minutes later through Max Ehmer.

Coventry could have headed into half time with the lead, but Marvin Sordell saw his effort saved.

Both sides created chances in the second half, but it was the hosts that managed the only goal as Billy Knott calmly slotted home the winner with twenty minutes remaining.


Peterborough United 1-1 Walsall

Walsall remain in search for a first away win of the season as they drew at Peterborough.

Both sides began brightly, but the Saddlers took the lead when Simeon Jackson headed home his fourth goal of the season, but the Posh levelled ten minutes later when Marcus Maddison struck home from range.

But neither side could find a winner. Walsall goalkeeper Neil Etheridge denied Gwion Edwards among others, before Saddlers full back Scott Laird struck the post in the final five. For Peterborough, this was their third successive home draw.


Fleetwood Town 1-4 Milton Keynes Dons

MK Dons returned to winning ways after a Ryan Colclough hattrick helped Karl Robinson’s side secure three points at in form Fleetwood.

The on loan winger saw his ninth minute cross-cum-shot reach the bottom corner for an early lead, before Nathan Pond struck the bar for the visitors before the break.

Dean Bowditch doubled the Dons lead from the spot after he was fouled by Jimmy Ryan, before Colclough added his second just seven minutes later.

Fleetwood did pull one back through Bobby Grant, with the help of a goalkeeping blunder, before Colclough completed his hattrick from the spot after George Baldock was fouled.


Oxford United 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Chris Maguire netted his fifth goal of the season as Oxford drew at home against Charlton.

Despite a goalless first half, Oxford went behind in controversial circumstances when Phil Edwards was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box, which resulted in Johnnie Jackson scoring from the spot; the first goal the U’s had conceded in over five and a half hours.

But Maguire, who has had a strong start to the season, levelled soon after when the Scot completed a swift counter attack.

Chey Dunkley and Marvin Johnson came close as the hosts pressed for an equaliser, while Simon Eastwood showed another solid performance in the Oxford goal, but it ended level, even after Harry Lennon was dismissed for the visitors in stoppage time, leaving Oxford unbeaten in four whilst the Addicks are winless in five.


Millwall 2-3 Rochdale

There was a five goal thriller at the Den, but unfortunately for the hosts, they were on the wrong end of it.

Callum Camps gave Rochdale an early lead, but Aiden O’Brien levelled two minutes later.

Before the twenty minute mark, Millwall took the lead from the spot, but Calvin Andrew restored parity for the visitors in the second half, five minutes before Ben Thompson was dismissed for the Lions for a second yellow.

And with time running out, Dale, who only recorded their first win of the season last weekend, snatched a late winner after Ian Henderson converted from the spot.


Oldham Athletic 0-2 Swindon Town

Swindon ended a run of three straight defeats as they won at Oldham.

Swindon, who controlled much of the first half, took the lead through Jonathan Obika, and should have doubled their lead but for Nathan Thomas firing over from six yards.

Josh Law saw his free kick for the Latics sail just wide, before Obika was denied by Connor Ripley.

Ollie Banks came close for the hosts after the restart, but the Robins netted a second through Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill.


AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Shrewsbury Town

AFC Wimbledon and Shrewsbury shared the spoils as they drew at Kingsmeadow.

The Dons lead after just six minutes, when Lyle Taylor netted his second goal of the season.

The Shrews should have levelled soon after, but Ivan Toney headed over.

After the restart, the visitors levelled through Ian Black’s long range effort, before James Shea and Jayson Leutwiler produced saves for their respective sides.

Shrewsbury were reduced to ten men with under ten minutes remaining after Toney was dismissed for a second yellow, but Wimbledon failed to find a late winner.


About Dale Ventham

My name is Dale Ventham, and I am the CEO and owner at The Sports Lowdown. I enjoy writing about all levels of football, particularly in England but occasionally Europe too, and as an Oxford United fan, I also enjoy writing about the lower leagues. I am also a fan of speedway, and cover major tournaments.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...