Home / Football / League One Review: 27 September

League One Review: 27 September

Eleven games in League One took place last night, and you can see all the results and reports right here at The Sports Lowdown. Here is your League One Review:



Walsall 1-4 Scunthorpe United

Scunthorpe remain top of League One as they eased past Walsall at the Bescot Stadium, helped by a Josh Morris hattrick.

The Iron were ahead after just eleven minutes when Liam Kinsella handled inside the box, allowing Morris to convert from the spot.

Two minutes later, and the visitors doubled their lead, with Morris tapping home the rebound after Neil Etheridge could only parry Tom Hopper’s effort.

Walsall reduced the deficit before the break when Erhun Oztumer struck from 18 yards, and they could have gone in level, but Simeon Jackson was denied by Luke Daniel’s.

The miss proved costly as two minutes after the restart, Scunthorpe added a third. Midfielder Neal Bishop smashing home from 25 yards.

Etheridge was kept busy, keeping it at three following saves from Hopper and Holmes, but Morris curled home a peach in the final ten to complete his hattrick, take his tally to 11 goals in as many games, and keep Graham Alexander’s side at the top of the table.


Milton Keynes Dons 1-3 Bury

Bury kept their good form alive as a James Vaughan brace helped the Shakers on the way to three points at the Stadium:MK.

Bury took the lead against the run of play, with Vaughan capitalising on a mistake at the bake to volley home the opener, but the Dons, who dominated the first half, were unable to level before the break thanks to numerous saves from Ben Williams.

But Karl Robinson’s side did find an equaliser in the second half, despite hitting the woodwork twice through Samir Carruthers and Downing, through Ben Reeves.

But Vaughan added his and Bury’s second three minutes later, before Zeli Ismail added a third late on to make it five successive victories.


Bradford City 2-1 Fleetwood Town

Bradford continued their unbeaten start to the season as they won at home to Fleetwood.

Devante Cole had the opportunity to score for the Cod Army  against his former club, but Colin Doyle made the save. But shortly after, the visitors made the breakthrough after Bobby Grant beat Doyle.

But the Bantams, who have drawn their last five games, levelled in first half stoppage time through Filipe Morais.

Bradford’s second half winner came from the spot after Timothee Dieng was held by back in the penalty area by Amari’i Bell, and Billy Clarke tucked home from twelve yards.


Swindon Town 1-3 Northampton Town

Northampton recorded their first away win of the season as they eased past Swindon at the County Ground.

The Cobblers were ahead inside ten minutes when Paul Anderson’s cross found Harry Beautyman who slid in, but the hosts could have levelled in the 29th minute, but for a combination of two saves and two defensive blocks keeping the Robins out.

John Obika then squandered a chance for an equaliser before the break, but substitute Sean Murray restored parity with an effort from the edge of the box.

But ten minutes later, John-Joe O’Toole netted his second goal in as many games to regain the lead for Northampton, before Kenji Gorre sealed the win in the final ten.


Port Vale 3-1 Millwall

Port Vale continued their 100% record at Vale Park with victory over Millwall.

The Valiants were ahead after just four minutes when top scorer Alex Jones netted his sixth goal of the campaign.

The hosts doubled their lead fifteen minutes into the second half when Sam Foley beat Jordan Archer from the edge of the box, before Remie Streete added a third heading on from a corner.

Millwall, who’ve now lost three games in succession, netted a late consolation from the spot after Lee Gregory converted following Anthony Grant’s handball.


Sheffield United 1-0 Bristol Rovers

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten run as they edged past Bristol Rovers at Bramall Lane.

Ollie Clarke came closest for the visitors in an evenly contested first half, while Gas goalkeeper Kelle Roos denied John Fleck and Billy Sharpe.

Jernaine Easter, who also came close in the first half, had another opportunity after the restart, but he fired wide, and it proved costly when Blades substitute Harry Chapman headed in Daniel Lafferty’s cross to extend Chris Wilder’s unbeaten run to seven games.

The Gas ended the game with ten men just after the goal when Easter was dismissed after clashing with Jack O’Connell.


Rochdale 1-0 Bolton Wanderers

Rochdale made it three wins from three as they edged past Bolton at Spotland.

Trotters skipper Jay Spearing had the best chance of the first half, but his effort was saved by Josh Lillis.

The games only goal came ten minutes  after the restart when Steven Davies’ stunning strike sailed past Mark Howard to give Dale the lead.

Jamie Allen could have doubled the hosts advantage shortly after, but his effort was off target, before the visitors came close via a deflected effort from James Henry.


Chesterfield 3-3 Gillingham

There was a six goal thriller at the Proact Stadium where Chesterfield and Gillingham shared the spoils.

Conor Wilkinson headed the hosts in front after just two minutes from a Jon Nolan free kick, before the Gills came close to levelling through Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, but his effort was blocked.

The Spireites doubled their lead just after the restart, Kristian Dennis converting from the spot after Mark Byrne fouled Nolan.

But the Gills were awarded a penalty themselves shortly after when Deji Oshilaja was pulled back by Tom Anderson, and Emmanuel-Thomas scored, but Wilkinson lifted the ball over Stuart Nelson in the 72nd minute to make it 3-1.

Four minutes later, Gillingham were then awarded their second penalty of the evening after Scott Wagstaff was tripped by Laurence Maguire, and Emmanuel-Thomas netted his second.

Wagstaff then completed the comeback deep in stoppage time to earn travelling Gillingham a point.


Shrewsbury Town 1-1 Peterborough United

Ten man Peterborough earned themselves a point on the road at Shrewsbury.

The visitors began stronger, with Tom Nichols and Chris Forres terms both missing the target, but made the breakthrough on 32 minutes when Marcus Maddison’s free kick was headed in by Gwion Edwards.

Shaun Whalley went close twice for the hosts, but failed to score, before Maddison’s 20 yard effort struck the post.

A swift counter attack ten minutes into the second half brought the Shrews equaliser, ending with Ian Black’s looping header from a Joe Riley cross.

Three minutes later, Posh defender Ryan Tafazolli was dismissed for a foul in the box on Antoni Sarcevic, but Black’s penalty was saved and the points were shared.


Charlton Athletic 1-1 Oldham Athletic

Charlton’s search for a win extended to seven games as struggling Oldham drew at The Valley.

The Addicks took the lead midway through the first half when Josh Magennis completed a brilliant passing play.

Magennis could have doubled the lead shortly after, was his effort was just off target.

But Oldham, who have made a slow but steady start to the season, found a late equaliser when Paul Green’s free kick was met by Peter Clarke to send the traveling fans into celebration, but it could have been in vain when  Ademola Lookman struck the bar with under five minutes remaining.


Southend United 2-1 Oxford United

Oxford conceded just their third goal in five games as they again conceded a controversial penalty in their loss at Southend.

The Shrimpers, who lost 4-0 at Northampton at the weekend, opened the scoring inside fifteen minutes when Ryan Leonard’s 25 yard volley sailed past Simon Eastwood.

But the U’s, who have won just one from their last fifteen meetings with Southend, levelled in first half stoppage time when Kane Hemmings headed home Marvin Johnson’s short corner.

But the Southend winner came in controversial circumstances. Phil Edwards, who also controversially conceded a penalty at the weekend in the U’s draw with Charlton, was adjudged to have handled the ball, and Anthony Wordsworth slotted home.

Substitute Wes Thomas could have snatched a point for the visitors at the death, but Mark Oxley denied the former Birmingham striker.


About Dale Ventham

My name is Dale Ventham, and I am the CEO and owner at The Sports Lowdown. I enjoy writing about all levels of football, particularly in England but occasionally Europe too, and as an Oxford United fan, I also enjoy writing about the lower leagues. I am also a fan of speedway, and cover major tournaments.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...