Home / Football / League One Review: 15 October

League One Review: 15 October

Another weekend of action took place in League One, and it was a good day for home sides, with ten of the twelve sides recoding victories. Here is your League One Review:


Scunthorpe United 2-1 Milton Keynes Dons

Scunthorpe increased their lead at the top of the League One table as they came from behind to beat MK Dons.

And it was the Iron that began stronger, and could have taken a second minute lead when Dons goalkeeper David Martin fumbled a shot from Duane Holmes against the bar, before Martin appeared to foul Tom Hopper in the box, but no penalty was awarded.

But against the run of play, the visitors, who have one of the better away records this season with four wins on the road, took the lead when Ben Reeves’ cross was turned in by Kieran Agard.

In the second half, Scunthorpe made two changes with Paddy Madden and Kevin van Veen being introduced, and the pair combined to level the match. Van Veen saw his effort parried by Martin, before Madden tucked home the rebound.

And with nine minutes remaining, Madden netted his and the Irons second, sweeping home a Josh Morris cross.


Oxford United 1-0 Bradford City

Oxford United ended Bradford City’s unbeaten start to the season thanks to a late free kick from Chris Maguire.

And it was Oxford, and Maguire, that started brighter, with the Scot forcing Colin Doyle into two early saves.

But the Bantams, who were unbeaten in fifteen games this campaign, were awarded a 21st minute penalty when Charlie Raglan was penalised for a trip on Timothee Dieng, but Billy Clarke saw his penalty strike the bar.

Both sides created chances; Jordy Hiwula missed two close range chances and Simon Eastwood denied Clarke, whilst Ryan Taylor and Chey Dunkley saw goal bound efforts blocked for the hosts.

With injury time came the games only goal. A foul on U’s skipper John Lundstram 25 yards from goal allowed Maguire to wrong foot Doyle and give Oxford all three points.


Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Oldham Athletic

A brace from Zach Clough saw Bolton win at home against Oldham.

Clough’s first came after just ten minutes, an 18 yard free kick after Sammy Ameobi was fouled by Paul Green.

Ameobi then squandered a chance to double the lead, while David Wheater was also denied by Latics keeper Connor Ripley.

Lee Erwin’s effort ten minutes before the break was the closest Oldham came to a goal, but Mark Howard denied the Latics man.

Carl Winchester missed three second half chances for the visitors, before Howard denied Green as Oldham pressed for an equaliser.

But Bolton, and Clough, added a second with thirteen minutes remaining after Ameobi saw his initial effort cleared off the line by Winchester, allowing Clough to score, making it three successive victories for Phil Parkinson’s side.



Rochdale 2-0 Bury

There were two goals and two dismissals at Spotland as Rochdale made it six successive wins with victory over rivals Bury.

Neil Danns came closest to opening the scoring, but the Shakers man was denied by Dale goalkeeper Josh Lillis.

The hosts were awarded a penalty seven minutes before the break after Lillis fouled Matt Lund, and Ian Henderson successfully converted his spot kick.

James Vaughan thought he’d levelled for the visitors in the second half, but his effort was ruled offside, moments before Nathaniel Mendez-Laing struck home the hosts second of the afternoon.

Things then went from bad to worse for the Shakers who lost Kean Bryan to a red card following a reckless challenge on Andy Cannon, before Jacob Mellis was sent off for a foul on Calvin Andrew.


Sheffield United 4-0 Port Vale

Sheffield United extended their unbeaten run to eight games as they eased past Port Vale at Brammall Lane.

The Blades were ahead midway through the first half when Ethan Ebanks-Landell headed in at the far post from a John Fleck corner, and the on-loan defender added a second before the break.

Mark Duffy made it three midway through the second half, finishing the rebound after Billy Sharp’s effort was cleared off the line.

Vale could have reduced the deficit when Alex Jones was denied by Simon Moore, but Chris Wilder’s side sealed the win late on when Stefen Scougall’s close range header made it four.


Bristol Rovers 2-1 Gillingham

Two goals in the last ten minutes saw Bristol Rovers come from behind to win at home against Gillingham.

Despite a goalless first half, the visitors took the lead midway through the second when Josh Wright took advantage of poor Gas defending from a long throw before firing past Kelle Roos.

But the hosts levelled with eight minutes remaining when Chris Lines finished off a neat one-two with Matt Taylor before beating Jonathan Bond.

And there was late drama when Ellis Harrison volleyed home the winner in the final minute to give Darrell Clarke’s side all three points.


Northampton Town 1-3 Millwall

Millwall ended their run of four successive defeats with victory over Northampton.

Jak McCourt came close for the hosts, before Steve Morison’s audacious 40 yard effort against his former club sailed just over.

But the Lions found the break through ten minutes before half time when Lee Gregory latched on to a pass from Shaun Williams before clipping the ball over Adam Smith.

After the restart, the Cobblers found themselves a man down after McCourt was given a second yellow for a foul on Fred Onyadinma, and six minutes later Millwall doubled their lead through Calum Butcher.

Ten man Northampton wasted chances from David Buchanan and Alex Revell, before they eventually reduced the deficit through a Marc Richards header, but Millwall restored their two goal advantage late on when Morison lobbed Smith.


Fleetwood Town 2-0 Peterborough United

Fleetwood came out on top against Peterborough as two of the leagues inconsistent performers met at the Highbury Stadium.

And it took just three minutes for the Cod Army to take the lead when Jack Sowerby raced on to a pass from Ash Hunter before finishing coolly.

Hunter then came close to a second for the hosts, but he was unable to reach David Ball’s cross, before Ball saw his free kick tipped over by Posh goalkeeper Luke McGee.

Uwe Rosler’s side continued their dominance in the second half, and eventually added a second when Devante Cole’s cross was met by Bobby Grant.

Cole could have added a third, but his effort struck the woodwork as Fleetwood held on for all three points.


Walsall 3-2 Shrewsbury Town

Five goals and two dismissals at the Bescot Stadium as Walsall edged past manager less Shrewsbury.

The Saddlers took the lead midway through the first half when Amadou Bakayoko netted his first goal of the season after a fine pass from Erhun Otzumer, but the Shrews levelled seven minutes later when former Walsall man Oliver Lancashire looped home a header from a free kick.

But before the break, Walsall regained their advantage when Kieron Morris bundled home Joe Edwards’ cross, but the visitors managed another equaliser thirteen minutes into the second half when Saddlers keeper Neil Etheridge missed his punch, and Junior Brown pounced to level.

Despite coming back twice, having a goal ruled out and a penalty appeal waved away, both for offside, the Shrews were then reduced to ten men after Ryan McGiven was given a second yellow for a clash with Bakayoko.

And the host’s made their man advantage count to when Otzumer’s corner corner crept in, before Bakayoko was dismissed for a second yellow following his celebrations.


Charlton Athletic 3-0 Coventry City

Charlton picked up their first win in nearly two months as they eased past bottom club Coventry at The Valley.

Before the match, both sets of fans marched to the stadium together in protest of their respective owners, Roland Duchatelet and SISU, and shortly after kick off, the match was delayed after both sets of supporters through toy pigs onto the pitch.

When play resumed, both sides struck the woodwork in an even half an hour, but it was the Addicks that struck the opener when Ricky Holmes poked home.

As the Sky Blues pressed for an equaliser, only Charlton goalkeeper Declan Rudd was on hand to deny both Andre Wright and Chris McCann.

And with twelve minutes remaining, Charlton secured the win. First, Josh Magennis set up Ademola Lookman, before Magennis added a third late on.


AFC Wimbledon 0-0 Swindon Town

AFC Wimbledon missed a penalty as they shared the spoils at home against Swindon.

The Dons, who have won three games in nine days, looked to stretch their unbeaten run in all competitions to seven, and Neal Ardley’s side were given the chance to take all three when Tom Elliott was fouled in the box, but Lyle Taylor saw his spot kick saved by Lawrence Vigouroux.

The second half was relatively uneventful, with Robins’ Conor Thomas, who conceded the earlier penalty, saw his effort sail off target.


Southend United 1-0 Chesterfield

Southend won by narrow margins as they overcame fellow strugglers Chesterfield at Roots Hall.

The hosts took the lead midway through the first half, when Adam Thompson netted his first goal of the season after Chesterfield failed to clear a corner.

The Spireites could have levelled soon after, but Kristian Dennis saw his effort saved by Mark Oxley.

Nile Ranger and Simon Cox came close for the Shrimpers in the second half as the hosts dominated, but Southend held on to record their fifth home win from six.


About Dale Ventham

My name is Dale Ventham, and I am the CEO and owner at The Sports Lowdown. I enjoy writing about all levels of football, particularly in England but occasionally Europe too, and as an Oxford United fan, I also enjoy writing about the lower leagues. I am also a fan of speedway, and cover major tournaments.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...