Home / Football / League One Review: 18 October

League One Review: 18 October

There were plenty of goals, and even a few shock results as League One action returned on Tuesday night. Here is your League One Review:



Oldham Athletic 2-0 Scunthorpe United

League leaders Scunthorpe were pegged bag as they lost at struggling Oldham.

The Latics, who had failed to win in their previous six games, scored twice before the break to end the Irons eight game unbeaten run.

Freddie Ladapo’s shot three minutes before the break, capping off a nice flowing move, gave the host’s the lead, before Lee Erwin broke into the box before firing home a second in first half stoppage time.

Scunthorpe failed to test the opposition, and it was Oldham that looked the likeliest to add another goal, but Joe Anyon denied Ryan Flynn.


Bradford City 1-1 Southend United

Bradford failed to capitalise on Scunthorpe dropping points as the Bantams were held at home against Southend.

Bradford, who lost their unbeaten start to the season on Saturday at Oxford, took the lead ten minutes before the break, when Marc McNulty struck past Mark Oxley.

McNulty could have added a second soon after, but his first effort was blocked before his second attempt was deflected on to the crossbar.

Despite ending the first half on the back foot, the Shrimpers came out stronger in the second half, and could have equalised but for Colin Doyle’s save from a Nile Ranger effort.

But Phil Brown’s side found a deserved leveller when Anthony Wordsworth netted at the back post to earn Southend a point.


Millwall 0-2 Bolton Wanderers

Bolton made it four successive victories as Phil Parkinson’s side won at Millwall.

Sammy Ameobi opened the scoring after just three minutes as the former Newcastle man struck from 25 yards beyond Jordan Archer.

But the Lions were denied by a brilliant Mark Howard save when Lee Gregory met Shaun Williams’ free kick.

Archer was then on hand to deny Zach Clough’s curling effort as Bolton headed into the break with a narrow lead.

Millwall pressed for an equaliser in the second half, and squandered a couple of chances, before Trotters defender David Wheater sealed the win with five minutes remaining.


Shrewsbury Town 0-3 Sheffield United

Sheffield United eased to victory at Shrewsbury, who dropped to bottom of League One as a result.

Despite a goalless first half, managers less Shrewsbury were unable to cope with the Blades second half performance.

Billy Sharpe gave Chris Wilder’s side the lead immediately after the break with a terrific 25 yard effort, before Mark Duffy was denied as his free kick hit the bar.

But Sheffield United soon added a second when Paul Coutts delivered into the box, which Dan Lafferty headed home, before Sharpe added a third shortly after to extend the Blades unbeaten run to nine games.


Swindon Town 3-0 Rochdale

Swindon ended Rochdale’s recent run with a win at the County Ground.

Darnell Furlong gave the Robins the lead midway through the first half, before Nathan Delfouneso doubled the hosts lead shortly after.

Dale were given a chance to reduce the deficit in the second half, but Ian Henderson saw his penalty saved by Lawrence Vigouroux.

Joseph Bunney was dismissed for the visitors with under twenty minutes remaining, before Nathan Thomas added a third late on.


Port Vale 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Port Vale earned a point at home to Charlton thanks to a late Alex Jones penalty.

Jones came close to opening the scoring after thirteen minutes, but his long range effort was saved by Declan Rudd, before Josh Magennis struck the bar for the visitors seven minutes later.

But the Addicks made the breakthrough shortly after when Ricky Holmes teed up Frederick Ulvestad who poked home.

The Valiants pushed for an equaliser, and were given the opportunity five minutes from time after Jones was fouled in the area, and the forward stepped up to successfully convert his spot kick.


Peterborough United 3-0 Northampton Town

Peterborough overcame rivals Northampton with ease at the ABAX stadium as the sides met for the first time in seven years.

Shaquile Coulthirst netted his first goal of the season after fourteen minutes, heading in a Marcus Maddison corner, before Ryan Tafazolli also netted from a Maddison delivery ten minutes before the break.

Paul Taylor was then denied by an Adam Smith save and a Brendan Moloney block as the Posh looked to extend their advantage.

But the hosts added a third with eight minutes remaining when Tom Nichols netted his sixth goal of the season after good play from fellow sub Gwion Edwards.


Bury 1-2 AFC Wimbledon

AFC Wimbledon snatched a late winner as they left Gigg Lane with all three points.

But it was the hosts that made the breakthrough midway through the first half when James Vaughan was fouled by Paul Robinson, and Neil Danns converted from the spot, but Lyle Taylor levelled for the visitors five minutes before the break.

Both sides had second half chances, but it wasn’t until stoppage time when Jonathan Meades headed home a Jake Reeves corner to earn the Dons three points.


Milton Keynes Dons 3-3 Bristol Rovers

A Matt Taylor hat-trick saw Bristol Rovers come from behind to earn a point at MK Dons.

The Dons, who have failed to win at home in twelve games, took a two goal lead into the break thanks to first half strikes from Dean Bowditch and George Williams, but Taylor reduced the deficit after the restart with a twenty yard effort.

But Ben Reeves restored the Dons two goal advantage on 66 minutes, before Taylor netted twice in the final three minutes to earn the Gas a share of the spoils.


McLaughlin (41’minutes)

Chesterfield 0-1 Fleetwood Town

Fleetwood edged past Chesterfield in a close encounter at the Proact Stadium.

Cod Army full back Conor McLaughlin netted the games only goal five minutes before the break, whilst Spireites striker Ched Evans, who made his first appearance since being cleared of rape earlier this week, saw a second half effort tipped onto the bar.

Chesterfield were unable to find an equaliser, whilst Fleetwood failed to add to their goal advantage, but held on for the win nonetheless.


Coventry City 2-1 Oxford United

Coventry recorded just their second win of the season as they edged past Oxford at the Ricoh Arena.

A long range header from Ben Stevenson set the Sky Blues on their way midway through the first half, before Marvin Sordell capatialsed on a rare moment of poor Oxford defending to add a second before the break.

Oxford, who were backed by over, 2,000 travelling supporters, only found the net in second half stoppage time through Dan Crowley, but it was too late for Michael Appleton’s side.


McDonald (25’minutes)FTHT 1-0Moussa (59’minutes)

Gillingham 1-1 Walsall

Walsall and Gillingham shares the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Priestfield.

Cody McDonald headed the Gills ahead after 25 minutes, but Franck Moussa levelled for the Saddlers in the second half.

Walsall keeper Neil Etheridge was on hand to twice deny Max Elmer earlier in the first half, whilst Bradley Dack was denied by Etheridge with ten minutes left from a long range free kick.


About Dale Ventham

My name is Dale Ventham, and I am the CEO and owner at The Sports Lowdown. I enjoy writing about all levels of football, particularly in England but occasionally Europe too, and as an Oxford United fan, I also enjoy writing about the lower leagues. I am also a fan of speedway, and cover major tournaments.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...