Home / Football / League One Review: 1 October

League One Review: 1 October

Saturday seemed a good day to be an away side in League One, as seven of the twelve travelling sides headed home with all three points, with just two leaving empty handed. Here is your League One Review:


Bury 1-2 Scunthorpe United

Scunthorpe remain top of League One after their win against fellow top three side Bury.

The hosts, who were chasing a sixth successive victory, came close when Zeli Ismail was denied by Luke Daniels, before Tom Pope struck the bar.

Scunthorpe responded, and squandered a couple of half chances before they found the break-through three minutes before the break; after Duane Holmes’ effort was blocked, it fell to Scott Wiseman to give the Iron the lead.

But Bury levelled after the restart when the Iron failed to clear a corner, which allowed Ismail to assist Tom Soares with the equaliser.

But Josh Morris regained the visitors lead just seven minutes later, curling home from 25 yards to earn Scunthorpe all three points.

He nearly repeated the goal shortly after, striking the bar, whilst Jacob Mellis and Soares failed to find another leveller late on for Bury.


Chesterfield 0-1 Bradford City

Billy Clarke netted his fourth goal of the season as Bradford continued their unbeaten start to the season with victory at Chesterfield.

The visitors, who were backed by just under 2,000 travelling fans, dominated early on, and found the break through midway through the first half when Clarke struck home from the edge of the box from a short corner.

Kristian Dennis was spectacularly denied by Bantams goalkeeper Colin Doyle from his 25 yard free kick, before the visitors came close to a second from Jordy Hiwula.

Ryan Fulton was in form in the Spireites goal, denting Hiwula for a second time after the restart.

Bradford should have made the result more comfortable with chances from James Meredith and Mark Marshall, but the Bantams held on to move up to second.


Fleetwood Town 1-1 Sheffield United

A stoppage time equaliser earned Sheffield United a point at Fleetwood.

Chris Wilder’s side, who have put a great run together after a slow start to the season, should have taken an early lead after dominating possession, but the Cod Army took the lead when David Ball struck his fifth goal of the season against the run of play.

Billy Sharp could have levelled soon after, but his effort from 18 yards was tipped over by Chris Neal.

Fleetwood began to find their feet before the break, and should have doubled their advantage but Ball was denied by Simon Moore.

Ball was denied again by Moore after the restart, whilst Sharp and John Fleck couldn’t find the equaliser.

With the three points looking destined for Uwe Rosler’s side, Ethan Ebanks-Landell headed home a last minute equaliser as both sides shared the spoils.


Northampton Town 2-3 Bristol Rovers

There was a five goal thriller at Sixfields, but it was visiting Bristol Rovers that left with all three points.

Kelle Roos denied Matt Taylor from a free kick, whilst Cobblers keeper Adam Smith kept out Ellis Harrison as both sides started brightly.

But the hosts found the breakthrough in the ninth minute when Smith’s long clearance caught out the Gas defence, and Alex Revell cleverly lobbed Roos to give Rob Page’s side the lead.

Ollie Clarke came close to an equaliser, before Sam Hoskins failed to double the hosts lead before the break.

But after the restart, a goal line clearance from Taylor denied Harrison, but shortly after, the Gas did level when Rory Gaffney’s low drive found the back of the net.

The visitors were now in top, and squandered two chances from Gaffney and Billy Bodin, but found a second when Peter Hartley headed in a Charlie Colkett corner.

But just five minutes later, Revell levelled for the Cobblers with his second of the afternoon.

With time running out and both sides pushing for an winner, Gabriel Zakuani was dismissed for Northampton after picking up a second yellow, before Colkett fired home the winner from ten yards to give Darrell Clarke’s side the win.


Port Vale 0-2 Coventry City

Football is a funny game sometimes. Port Vale, who had a 100% home record, welcomed winless and manager-less Coventry to Vale Park, but it was the visitors that left with all three points.

Marvin Sordell gave the Sky Blues the lead ten minutes before the break, tucking home from a clever pull back from Gael Bigirimana.

In the second half, it was the visitors, under caretaker management in the shape of Mark Venus following Tony Mowbray’s resignation, that should have doubled their lead, but Jak Alnwick denied Daniel Agyei.

But Coventry ended their ten game winless run when Agyei found Chris McCann who smashed home a second, ending the Valiants perfect home record in the process.


Bolton Wanderers 0-2 Oxford United

Oxford recorded their first away win of the season as they eased past Bolton at the Macron Stadium.

Despite a dull first half, Chris Maguire came closest to opening the scoring for the visitors, but his effort was saved by Mark Howard.

But the U’s, roared on by over 1,300 travelling fans, dominated the second half against a Bolton side who have failed to score in their last four matches.

Kane Hemmings was denied by Howard, before Alex Mcdonald saw his effort saved.

But with under ten minutes remaining, Wes Thomas deservedly gave Oxford the lead, and Maguire confirmed the win at the death after Howard could only parry Hemmings’ effort.


Oldham Athletic 0-2 Milton Keynes Dons

MK Dons recorded their fourth away win of the season as they won at struggling Oldham.

The Dons began brighter, but Connor Ripley denied Ryan Colclough after clever work on the left, before David Martin denied Freddie Ladapo’s effort from the hosts.

Despite his earlier save, Ripley was at fault for the opener; Ben Reeves’ 25 yard shot wasn’t dealt with by the Latics keeper.

Oldham then hit the bar following Peter Clarke’s overhead kick, but the Dons doubled their lead ten minutes into the second half when Kieran Agard glanced home a Samir Carruthers free kick.

Oldham, who have scored just two goals in their six games at Boundary Park, could have conceded another late on, but Agard saw his effort strike the bar.


Charlton Athletic 0-1 Rochdale

Rochdale won their fourth successive match as they edged past Charlton at The Valley.

The Dale took the lead midway through the first half when Joe Bunney’s cross was headed in by Calvin Andrew, and they could have doubled their lead soon after but Declan Rudd denied Joe Thompson following poor defending.

But the hosts, who have now failed to win in seven games, had the opportunity to level from the spot after Ricky Holmes was fouled after the restart, but Johnnie Jackson saw his penalty saved by Josh Lillis, who then denied Josh Magennis’ follow up effort.

The Addicks couldn’t muster an equaliser as Keith Hill’s side held on for the win.


AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Gillingham

AFC Wimbledon extended their unbeaten run to four as they won at home against Gillingham.

The Dons opener came following a poor pass from Gills midfielder Rory Donnelly, as Dominic Poleon raced to get to the ball before keeper Stuart Nelson, before tapping home into an open net.

It nearly happened again before the break, another poor back pass set up Tom Elliott, but Nelson denied the forward.

The Dons doubled their lead before the break, Dean Parrett slotting home from the spot after John Pask fouled Paul Robinson.

Donnelly had the visitors best chance in the second half, but his free kick was off target, before he was dismissed following an abusive gesture to the fans with ten minutes remaining.


Southend United 1-1 Peterborough United

Peterborough scored in stoppage time to earn a point at Southend.

Stephen McLaughlin came closest to opening the scoring in an uneventful first half, but the Shrimpers man’s header hit the bar, as did Marcus Maddison’s long range effort for the visitors.

The hosts then squandered a chance to take the lead. Maddison handled Ben Coker’s cross in the box, but Anthony Wordsworth saw his time spot kick easily saved by Luke McGee.

Wordsworth made amends for his miss with twelve minutes remaining when he opened the scoring, but Maddison also made amends for conceding a penalty when his injury time goal secured a point for the Posh.


Walsall 2-1 Millwall

Walsall moved out of the bottom four as they edged past Millwall at the Bescot Stadium.

The Lions, who have now lost four games in succession, could have taken the lead in unusual circumstances as Shaun Williams’ 60 yard free kick from inside his own half almost caught out Saddlers keeper Neil Etheridge, but struck the bar.

The hosts made them pay as Simeon Jackson struck his fifth goal of the season following Franck Moussa’s knockdown.

But Millwall found an equaliser just five minutes later as Fred Onyedinma headed home Mahlon Romeo’s cross.

The visitors then squandered another good chance as Byron Webster saw his efforts sail wide from eight yards, and it proved costly as Walsall regained their lead after the break when Moussa smashed home following Jordan Archer’s initial save.

Etheridge was again in form, denying Lee Gregory in a one on one position, before keeping out Williams’ 20 yard effort.

Steve Morison’s header was off target, before Gregory was off target from 25 yards as Walsall held on.


Shrewsbury Town 1-1 Swindon Town

Shrewsbury and Swindon shared the spoils at New Meadow as the hosts recorded their third successive 1-1 draw.

The hosts fell behind after just nine minutes when John Goddard’s first Swindon goal gave the visitors the lead, but the Shrews almost levelled soon after, but Jim O’Brien headed over.

Swindon the missed the chance to add a second as both Nathan Thompson and Yaser Kasim struck wide, and the misses proved costly when Ivan Toney’s clever finish restored parity.

In the second half, Swindon keeper Lawrence Vigouroux denied Olly Lancashire and AJ Leitch-Smith, whilst Luke Norris was off target as Jon Obika was denied by Jayson Leutwiler in the Shrews goal.

The hosts ended the game with ten men after Gary Deegan was dismissed for a second yellow after a foul on Norris, but neither side could find a winner.


About Dale Ventham

My name is Dale Ventham, and I am the CEO and owner at The Sports Lowdown. I enjoy writing about all levels of football, particularly in England but occasionally Europe too, and as an Oxford United fan, I also enjoy writing about the lower leagues. I am also a fan of speedway, and cover major tournaments.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...