Home / Football / League Two Review – 31 January

League Two Review – 31 January

The FA Cup saw various league matches postponed this month in League Two, as several clubs were involved in thrilling encounters.

Plymouth Argyle certainly had a January to remember. A 0-0 draw with Liverpool at Anfield in the FA Cup third round earned a replay at Home Park, with the Reds narrowly advancing in a 1-0 victory.

We review results and highlights from around the league for the start of Matchweek 29.


Exeter City continued their incredible form on Tuesday evening with a 4-2 victory over Wycombe Wanderers. The Grecians are unbeaten in their last 11 matches, earning victories in nine along the way.

David Wheeler opened the scoring in the 19th minute with his ninth league goal of the campaign to give the home side an early advantage. Chances came for Exeter, as good possession and proactive movement in the attack kept the pressure on the opposition. But Wycombe were able to equalise before half-time through Gary Thompson (37’) and appeared set to offer a stern challenge in the second half.

Two spectacular minutes ended any chance for the Chairboys, with strikes from Troy Brown (65’) and Joel Grant (67’) securing the victory for Exeter. Wycombe’s Alexander Jakubiak (89’) scored late, but the goal was cancelled out by Ollie Watkins (90’) only moments later.

Exeter now sit fourth in the table, four points back of third-place Carlisle United.


Yeovil Town have struggled as of late, but picked up an important three points in a 2-1 home victory against Plymouth Argyle. The Glovers had not won a league match since a 5-0 triumph over Crawley Town in the first week of December.

The Pilgrims had the better of the first half and were on the brink of opening the scoring before the break. Yeovil took the lead with two quick goals in the second half from Nathan Smith (61’) and Alex Lacey (64’).

Argyle defender Jakub Sokolik (77’) clawed one back for the visitors, but they were unable to find the equaliser.

Now seven points behind league leaders Doncaster Rovers, manager Derek Adams will be frustrated by the missed opportunity on Tuesday. Argyle will travel to Cambridge United on Saturday aiming for more positive results.


Cheltenham Town produced a fantastic and surprising result on Tuesday, earning a 3-2 victory away to Luton Town. The Hatters are now fifth in the table, missing a golden chance to move ahead of Exeter City into fourth.

The Robins struck early, as Will Boyle gave the visitors a 1-0 advantage in the fifth minute. Jack Barthram (28’) doubled the lead for Cheltenham off a wonderful pass from Carl Winchester. Isaac Vassel (41’) scored for Luton moments before half-time.

Billy Waters (60’) gave Cheltenham a critical third goal in the second half. An own-goal in the 72nd minute gave the Hatters’ life, but they were unable to find another before the final whistle.

The result moves Cheltenham to 20th, one point back of Crewe Alexandra.

Luton Town look to bounce back this weekend at Grimsby Town on Saturday afternoon.

About Roy Emanuel

Roy was born and raised in New York but now calls Arizona home. A passionate writer/editor focused on bringing quality content to those that love the beautiful game. La Liga, MLS and League Two always catch his eye.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...