Home / Football / League Two Review: 18 August

League Two Review: 18 August

The first set of midweek fixtures took place on Tuesday, and the early season shocks have continued. There are still sides looking for their first wins, whilst others have gone all three games without defeat. Here is your League Two Review:



View image | gettyimages.com

Leyton Orient 3-0 Stevenage 

Leyton Orient have made it three wins from three after thumping Teddy Sheringham’s Stevenage at Brisbane Road. But the first goal didn’t come until there were fifteen minutes remaining, as Jay Simpson netted the O’s opener, heading in Dean Cox’s cross. Two more late goals from Blair Turgott and Ollie Palmer sealed the win for Ian Hendon’s side, leaving them top in these early stages, whilst the Boro are 22nd with just one point.


Morecambe 0-1 Wycombe Wanderers 

Wycombe also remain unbeaten thanks to Aaron Pierre’s header. The Chairboys defender headed home from Joe Jacobson’s free kick, giving the visitors the perfect start after three games in League Two.


Hartlepool United 1-0 Newport County 

Hartlepool make up the sides with a 100% record after beating Notts County at Victoria Park. Scott Fenwick’s 18 yard strike found the top corner early in the second half, and it was enough for the Pools to earn all three points, leaving the Exiles in 21st on one point.


AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Cambridge United 

AFC Wimbledon lost their second consecutive home league game after coming unstuck against Cambridge. But the Dons took an early lead when Jake Reeves’s shot found former U’s striker Tom Elliott who netted the opener. But two goals at the beginning of the second half gave the U’s the lead when, first, defender Leon Legge headed home a Ryan Donaldson corner, before striker Barry Corr headed his fifth of the campaign from a corner two minutes later. The U’s are unbeaten, and have made a good start to the campaign, but successive home defeats will be a concern for Neal Ardley and his side.


Crawley Town 0-0 Portsmouth 

Crawley and Portsmouth shared the spoils in a goalless draw at the Broadfield Stadium. Crawley keeper Freddie Woodman was the busier of the two goalkeepers, saving from Matt Tubbs in the first half before denying second half substitute Adam McGurk. Pompey remain unbeaten, whilst the Red Devil’s are still looking for their first win.


Plymouth Argyle 4-1 Carlisle United 

169 fans made the long trip south for Carlisle’s trip to Plymouth, and they were on the wrong end of a heavy result. Jake Jervis gave the Pilgrims the lead two minutes before the break, before early second half goals from Reuben Reid and Graham Carey gave the hosts breathing space. Jervis added his second shortly after, before Joe Thompson found an injury time consolation goal, but it wasn’t enough as the Cumbrians have now lost 11 of 12 visits to Home Park.


View image | gettyimages.com

Barnet 2-0 Northampton Town 

Barnet have recorded their first win of the season against a Northampton side that have began the campaign brightly. The turning point of the game came in the 63rd minute when Jason Taylor fouled John Akinde in the box, leading to the Cobblers player’s dismissal. Akinde stepped up to convert the penalty, before he rounded the keeper late on to secure all three points for the Bees. Disappointing for Northampton, but a positive bounce back after successive defeats from Barnet.

Luton Town 0-1 Bristol Rovers

Luton Town remain winless as Bristol Rovers scored a late winner at Kenilworth Road. Stuart Sinclair, up against his former club, beat keeper Mark Tyler deep into stoppage time to give the Gas their second successive 1-0 win, whilst Luton have only managed two draws.

Dagenham and Redbridge 1-2 Exeter City

Dagenham remain bottom of League Two after their third successive defeat, whilst Exeter bounced back from last week’s loss. When the game was goalless, Daggers defender Nyron Nosworthy saw his headed effort disallowed, before Ryan Harley put the Grecians in front soon after. The visitors were two goals up early in the second half as Troy Brown headed home, before the hosts pulled one back late on as Jordi Jones curled past the Grecians keeper, but they couldn’t push for an equaliser.

Oxford United 3-1 Notts County 

Oxford had to come from behind to record all three points at home to Notts County. The visitors took an early lead when Thierry Audel headed in from Graham Burke’s free kick, but first half substitute Callum O’Dowda leveled for the U’s. The hosts took the lead at the start of the second half as O’Dowda assisted Kemar Roofe to score his second league goal in as many games, and Alex MacDonald had the chance to make it three from the penalty spot, but Roy Carroll saved his effort, but striker Danny Hylton made it three with ten minutes remaining, sealing the U’s their first win of the season.

Accrington Stanley 1-0 Mansfield Town 

Accrington recorded their first win of the season against Adam Murray’s Mansfield. The games only goal came midway through the first half as Sean McConville’s deflected effort sailed in. The game was a feisty affair with the referee awarding ten yellow cards in the game, but Stanley held on for the win.

York City 1-0 Yeovil Town

Yeovil have now suffered three successive defeats after losing on the road at York. Midfielder James Berrett, who was up against his former club, scored the games only goal midway through the second half as his deflected effort sailed in from 20 yards. A vital win for the Minstermen who have penned their first points on the board, but more disappointment for the Glovers.

Dagenham and Redbridge Hartlepool United notts county Stevenage

About Dale Ventham

Dale Ventham is an editor at The Sports Lowdown. He writes on the lower leagues of English football and Speedway in particular.

Check Also

PER - Handball

Copa America Centenario: MD3 Review

The final round of Copa group games saw the quarter final placings decided. Despite losing ...