Breaking News
Home / Football / League Two Review: 22 August

League Two Review: 22 August

What a weekend of football in League Two; it was full of late goals and drama, amazing comebacks and even a couple of dismissals as we approach the end of the opening month. Here is your League Two Review:


View image |

Newport County 2-3 Leyton Orient 

Leyton Orient remain top of League Two, and are now the only side with a 100% record after winning at Newport County. And the O’s were two goals up after just seven minutes; first Paul McCallum headed home a Dean Cox cross, before Jay Simpson curled home from range to double the visitors advantage. McCallum then hit the bar, but as half time approached, the Exiles, who have only picked up one point so far this season, leveled the game; first Scott Boden reduced the deficit before Mark Byrne’s dipping shot beat the goalkeeper. But the hosts couldn’t capitalise on their comeback as Cox’s strike midway through the second half won the game for Ian Hendon’s side, condemning Terry Butcher to his third defeat in four games.


Wycombe Wanderers 1-1 Dagenham and Redbridge 

Wycombe lost their perfect record and conceded their first goal, but a late equaliser rescued a point at home to bottom club Dagenham. The Daggers, who had lost their previous three games, took the lead after just seven minutes when former Wycombe man Matt McClure poked home, but with just over ten minutes remaining, he was given his second yellow, reducing the visitors to ten men. Deep into stoppage time, defender Aaron Pierre headed in Michael Harriman’s cross to rescue a point for the Chairboys. Wycombe remain unbeaten, whilst Dagenham have recorded their first point of the season.


Northampton Town 0-2 Plymouth Argyle 

In a match between two sides that will be aiming for the playoffs this season, it was last season’s beaten play-off semi-finalists Plymouth that got the win at Sixfields. The Pilgrims took the lead five minutes before the break as Graham Carey raced clear before slotting past the Cobblers keeper, before Jake Jervis capitalised on a Carey corner with twenty minutes remaining to confirm the win. A setback for the Cobblers who have now suffered successive defeats, whilst Plymouth capitalised on Tuesdays win.


Bristol Rovers 3-1 Barnet 

Despite losing their first game back in League Two, Bristol Rovers have secured three successive victories to push them up to 4th. And it didn’t take the Gas long to open the scoring against their fellow promotion rivals from last season as Lee Brown saw his low 30 yard effort creep in after just two minutes. With just over ten minutes remaining, Jermaine Easter saw his effort double the hosts lead before Curtis Weston pulled one back, but it wasn’t enough as Matt Taylor secured the victory with minutes remaining.

Stevenage 2-0 Hartlepool United 

Stevenage got their first win of the season, ending Hartlepool’s 100% record in the process. The Boro took the lead in first half injury time as Fraser Franks headed in Steven Schumacher’s corner, and Brett Williams secured the win with two minutes remaining with a neat finish to give Teddy Sheringham his first win as manager. Disappointment for the Pools, but they remain in 5th.

Portsmouth 3-3 Morecambe 

Portsmouth came from three goals down to earn a draw in a six goal thriller at Fratton Park. The visitors were three goals up before the break; first former Blackpool midfielder Tom Barkhuizen slotted home from a one-on-one situation after a clever run, before Alan Goodall headed the visitors further ahead. Andy Fleming added a third for Jim Bentley’s side just before the break, but Gary Roberts reduced the deficit minutes later with a free-kick. Midway through the second half, Roberts added a second for Pompey, curling in left footed from the right, but when Enda Stevens was dismissed with under twenty minutes remaining, the comeback looked to have disappeared. That was until five minutes into stoppage time when on loan Bournemouth striker Jayden Stockley headed home the late equaliser to send Fratton Park into raptures. A good point for the Shrimps, but they’ll be bitterly disappointed to have thrown away a three goal lead, especially against ten men towards the end.

Cambridge United 0-3 Crawley Town 

Cambridge have suffered an early setback, losing their first game of the season against a Crawley side that have earned their first win since returning to League Two. Roarie Deacon, who hit the bar early on, gave the Red Devil’s the lead five minutes before the break with a deflected effort, and he added a second two minutes into the second half, firing home after outpacing the U’s defence. Despite having Liam Donnelly sent off with ten minutes remaining for a second bookable offence, Gwion Edwards tapped in a third late on to secure the win.

Exeter City 0-0 York City 

Exeter and York played out the days only goalless draw in a scrappy affair at St James Park. There were no shots on goal in the first half, but the hosts had the better chances in the second, but failed to find the back of the Minstermen net. Exeter find themselves in 8th, whilst York, who’ve won just once, are in 18th.

Mansfield Town 1-1 Oxford United 

Oxford United came from behind for the fourth successive league game to earn a point at Mansfield. The Stags took the lead within three minutes when former Portsmouth striker Craig Westcarr fired in from 20 yards, and they could have gone two goals up but former Oxford striker Matt Green saw his penalty hit the bar. The U’s began to get themselves back into the game, and leveled fifteen minutes into the second half when Kemar Roofe successfully converted his penalty to bring the game level. Oxford remain unbeaten, but Mansfield could be a handful for opponents this season.

Notts County 1-1 Accrington Stanley 

Accrington scored a late goal to earn a point from their visit to Meadow Lane. The Magpies took the lead with just fifteen minutes remaining after Graham Burke headed in Liam Noble’s cross, but after Noble was dismissed with a straight red card with three minutes left following a tackle on Josh Windass, Stanley regrouped and found an equaliser when Matt Crooks lashed home from the corner.

Carlisle United 1-1 AFC Wimbledon 

Carlisle remain in search of their first win after drawing at Brunton Park with Neal Ardley’s Wimbledon. The visitors took the lead as half time approached when Andy Barcham slotted home just moments after Jason Kennedy hit the post for the Cumbrians. But midway through the second half, Jabo Ibehre netted his seventh goal of the season with a low 15 yard effort to bring the game level.


Yeovil Town 3-2 Luton Town 

Yeovil got their first win of the season after coming from two goals down at Huish Park. Luton were two goals up after twenty minutes; first Craig Mackail-Smith’s first goal for the club was followed by a Paul Benson header, but Stephen Arthurworrey pulled one back with half time approaching. Luton, who blew a two goal lead last weekend at home to Oxford, were soon undone again when Ryan Bird leveled the scoring before striking home the winner with fifteen minutes left. A vital win and confidence boost for the Glovers, but further disappointment for the Hatters who now sit one place above the drop and without a win.

Hartlepool United Stevenage

About Dale Ventham

Dale Ventham is an editor at The Sports Lowdown. He writes on the lower leagues of English football and Speedway in particular.

Check Also


UEFA EURO 2016 Group D Review

Embed from Getty Images   Teams: Spain, Croatia, Turkey, Czech Republic   Current European Champions Spain ...