Home / Football / League Two Review: 26 September

League Two Review: 26 September

Nine games into the new League Two season and there was plenty of late drama across the country in another enthralling afternoon of football. Portsmouth have moved top as Leyton Orient recorded another draw, whilst bottom club Newport County recorded their first win of the season. Here is your League Two Review:



View image | gettyimages.com

Bristol Rovers 1-2 Portsmouth 

Portsmouth have moved to the top of League Two after a second half winner at the Memorial Stadium against Bristol Rovers. Pompey took the lead midway through the first half as Gareth Evans headed in Kyle Bennett’s cross, but the Gas were level shortly after half time as Jermaine Easter’s shot rebounded off the bar before going in off goalkeeper Aaron McCarey. But Pompey, who are the only unbeaten side in the Football League, regained the lead with twenty minutes remaining after Jayden Stockley poked home from close range.


Exeter City 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers 

Wycombe have moved into 2nd after a comfortable win at St James Park, ending the Grecians unbeaten home record in the process. The Chairboys took the lead five minutes into the second half as Joe Jacobson’s twenty yard free kick found the back of the net, before Gary Thompson’s curled effort seven minutes later doubled the visitors lead. Gareth Ainsworth’s side held on, condemning the Grecians to successive defeats.


Northampton Town 1-1 Leyton Orient 

Leyton Orient have been knocked off top spot in League Two despite equalising seven minutes into second half stoppage time. Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who netted in last weekend’s win at Morecambe, thought he’d won the game for the Cobblers as his header from a Joel Byrom corner three minutes into stoppage time gave the hosts the lead, but Dean Cox hit back with a dramatic free kick right at the death. The O’s have now drawn their last three games 1-1, and haven’t won in four, whilst Northampton have recorded three successive victories, lifting them to 8th.


Mansfield Town 0-0 Plymouth Argyle 

Mansfield and Plymouth played out a goalless draw at Field Mill, but the Stags extend their unbeaten home record. Both sides had numerous opportunities in the game, with Pilgrims striker Reuben Reid striking the bar inside five minutes, before Matt Green wasted an opportunity for the Stags. But the point seemed good for both sides as they both sit comfortably in and around the playoffs as a result.


View image | gettyimages.com

Crawley Town 0-3 Accrington Stanley 

Accrington have moved up to 5th in League Two after an impressive victory at Crawley. On the stroke of half time, Crawley player Luke Rooney was given a straight red card after conceding a penalty, in which Josh Windass successfully converted, before Matt Crooks doubled Stanley’s lead three minutes later with a 25 yard effort. Stanley, who are now unbeaten in seven games, made it three late on when Billy Kee’s close range effort condemned the Red Devil’s to their fourth successive defeat, leaving Mark Yates’s side in the relegation zone.


Oxford United 0-0 Morecambe 

Oxford were the only side in the top seven to play at home this weekend, but they were left frustrated as Morecambe earned themselves a point at the Kassam Stadium. The U’s dominated large spells of the game against a Shrimps side that suffered an uncharacteristic defeat at home last time out against Northampton, but neither side were able to find the net. The hosts had the best chance when Kemar Roofe was awarded a penalty, but his effort was saved by Morecambe keeper Barry Roche, making him the third Oxford player to miss a penalty this season.


Cambridge United 1-0 Stevenage 

Cambridge recorded their first win in six after a late strike at the Abbey Stadium against Stevenage. The Boro, who have now suffered back to back defeats, could have took the lead inside five minutes but Charlie Lee’s effort hit the bar, but as the draw looked likely, even with heavy home pressure, the U’s snatched the result seven minutes into stoppage time when Harrison Dunk headed home debutant Rory Gaffney’s cross, lifting them up to 10th.


Yeovil Town 1-2 Hartlepool United 

Hartlepool ended their seven game winless run with a victory at Huish Park against a Yeovil side that won last time out. Scott Fenwick gave the Pools the lead, firing in Jake Carroll’s cross, but Ryan Bird leveled shortly after, tucking in from Jake Howell’s delivery. Matt Dolan went close for the hosts with a free kick, but the visitors found a late winner when Brad Walker finished with seven minutes remaining.


Carlisle United 0-1 Newport County 

Bottom club Newport recorded their first win of the season against an in-form Carlisle side at Brunton Park. Second half substitute Tyler Blackwood, who only arrived at Rodney Parade on Thursday on loan from QPR, headed in a cross from Nathan Ofori-Twumasi to give Terry Butcher his first win as Exiles manager. Carlisle, who are the league’s top scoring side, began to show fatigue late on after taking Liverpool to a penalty shootout in the Capital One Cup in midweek, but they will be looking to bounce straight back on Tuesday night.


View image | gettyimages.com

Notts County 1-0 York City 

Notts County made it back to back wins with a 1-0 victory at Meadow Lane against York. Striker Izale McLeod netted the games only goal as he capitalised on a mistake by Minstermen keeper Scott Flinders early in the first half, leaving Russ Wilcox’s side without a win in three games.


Luton Town 2-0 AFC Wimbledon 

Luton made it back to back wins thanks to a Jack Marriott brace at Kenilworth Road. But Wimbledon player Karleigh Osborne was given two yellow cards within five first half minutes for the visitors, leaving the Dons to play under sixty minutes with ten men, and Marriott took advantage with ten minutes remaining, tapping in from close range before adding a second in stoppage time.


Barnet 3-1 Dagenham and Redbridge 

Barnet made it back to back victories after a comfortable win at the Hive against strugglers Dagenham and Redbridge. The Bees took the lead within the opening minute as Michael Gash fired in from John Akinde’s cross, before Andy Yiadom doubled the hosts lead with a long range effort. Gash netted his second early in the second half, before Akinde hit the post, and despite Jodi Jones reducing the deficit with a free kick, the Daggers were well beaten against Martin Allen’s side.

Accrington Stanley Dagenham and Redbridge Newport County

About Dale Ventham

Dale Ventham is an editor at The Sports Lowdown. He writes on the lower leagues of English football and Speedway in particular.

Check Also


Formula Ones potential new owners want supremo Bernie Ecclestone

Embed from Getty Images   Formula Ones potential new owners want Bernie Ecclestone to stay ...