Home / Football / League Two Review: 17 October

League Two Review: 17 October

There were 34 goals, five sending offs and even a goal from a goalkeeper this weekend in League Two, and as usual The Sports Lowdown will bring you all the action in your weekly review:



View image | gettyimages.com

Plymouth Argyle (1) 1-0 (6) Accrington Stanley

Plymouth remain top of League Two after Reuben Reid netted his fourth goal in as many games to earn the Pilgrims all three points. Graham Carey’s free kick wasn’t dealt with by the Stanley defence, and Reid lashed a terrific volley into the top corner midway through the second half. But Stanley could well have left Devon with a point, or even more, after Sean McConville struck the woodwork twice and Plymouth keeper Luke McCormack saved numerous shots late on. The defeat was Stanley’s second in three games, whilst Plymouth are unbeaten in seven.


Newport County (24) 0-1 (2) Portsmouth 

Portsmouth remain three points behind Plymouth after a win at bottom club Newport. Matt Tubbs’s sixth goal of the season on the stroke of half time gave Pompey their fifth away win of the season, while the Exiles remain bottom and are without a win in seven at Rodney Parade.


Leyton Orient (5) 2-2 (3) Oxford United 

Leyton Orient came from two goals down to earn a point at home against ten men Oxford. The U’s raced into a two goal lead thanks to strikes from the in-form Kemar Roofe and former O’s loanee John Lundstram’s first Oxford goal, but Jay Simpson reduced the deficit midway through the second half before on loan Wolves winger Jordan Graham was given a second yellow card for the visitors. 19 year old Scott Kashket leveled in stoppage time for the O’s, nodding in Ollie Palmer’s cross. The U’s remain third in League Two and are unbeaten in six as Michael Appleton’s side prepare to host Plymouth on Tuesday night.


View image | gettyimages.com

Mansfield Town (4) 1-2 (11) Bristol Rovers 

Three goals and three dismissals at Field Mill as Bristol Rovers left Nottinghamshire with all three points. The Gas took the lead through Jermaine Easter’s powerful shot, but the striker was sent off on the stroke of half time after clashing with Stags midfielder Jamie McGuire. In the second half, tempers continued as first Stags defender Krystian Pearce was dismissed for an off the ball incident, before captain Nicky Hunt was given a second yellow card, reducing the hosts to nine men. However, the Stags leveled four minutes later when Ryan Tafazolli leashed an 18 yard strike, but Matty Taylor won the game eight minutes into stoppage time for the visitors, making it three wins in succession for Darrell Clarke’s side. As for Mansfield, this was their first home defeat of the season, but Adam Murray’s side remain in the playoffs.


Carlisle United (7) 1-0 (13) Exeter City 

Carlisle have moved back into the playoffs after a narrow victory against Exeter. Newcastle loanee Alex Gillied set up Charlie Wyke in the first half, but the striker was unable to find a way past the Grecians keeper, but with over ten minutes remaining, Derek Asamoah created space on the left before centering for Gillied to score his first Cumbrians goal. Exeter made the long trip back south finding themselves three games without a win.


Stevenage (20) 2-1 (8) Wycombe Wanderers 

Wycombe have dropped out of the playoffs as Teddy Sheringham’s Stevenage recorded their first win in seven. The Boro took the lead in unusual circumstances as home goalkeeper Jesse Joronen saw his clearance sail straight towards Chairboys keeper Matt Ingram before bouncing over him and into the net. The hosts could have doubled their lead before the break but Armand Gnanduillet hit the bar with a header, but early in the second half he netted to give Sheringham’s side a two goal advantage. Max Kretzschmar pulled one back for the visitors, turning in Michael Harriman’s cross, but it wasn’t enough for Gareth Ainsworth’s side who lost their first away game in six.


Cambridge United (14) 2-1 (9) Northampton Town 

Cambridge recorded just their second win since August after beating an in-form Northampton side at the Abbey Stadium. Harrison Dunk gave the U’s the lead just before the break, cutting in from the right before firing in past Adam Smith from outside the box, and Barry Corr doubled the hosts advantage early in the second half with his seventh goal in as many games. Marc Richards pulled one back for the Cobblers from the spot after Dominic Calvert-Lewin was fouled, but when Lawson D’Ath was dismissed for a clumsy and reckless tackle, Northampton’s hopes of a comeback had diminished. The result ends Chris Wilder’s side’s six game unbeaten run, while it was a vital win for Richard Money and his side.


AFC Wimbledon (16) 2-5 (10) Morecambe 

A game between Wimbledon, who’s home form has been consistent, against Morecambe, who have been prolific on the road, and it was the Shrimps that left with all three points after a seven goal thriller at Kingsmeadow. But the hosts took an early lead when Andy Barcham curled in, but Shaun Miller leveled from the spot. Miller then gave the Shrimps the lead after thumping home from 35 yards, before Alan Goodall headed a third before the break. The Dons began the second half the way they started the first, and took the lead early doors when Adebayo Akinfenwa reduced the deficit, but late goals from Tom Barkhuizen and Paul Mullin extended Jim Bentley’s side’s away run to six.



View image | gettyimages.com

Crawley Town (18) 2-1 (11) Luton Town 

Crawley recorded their third win in four games after coming from behind at home against Luton. The Hatters had a first half lead when Cameron McGheehan headed in his seventh goal of the season, but Rhys Murphy leveled after heading in Gwion Edwards cross. Matt Harrold won the game late on for the Red Devil’s with a low drive from 20 yards. This was the Hatters first defeat in seven, but successive wins for Crawley has lifted them further from the drop.


Notts County (15) 2-0 (22) Yeovil Town 

Notts County ended a four game winless run with victory at home to Yeovil. The Magpies hit the woodwork twice in the first half as both Izale McLeod and Adam Campbell were denied, but Stanley Aborah gave the hosts the lead in the second half with a deflected effort, before McLeod smashed in a second shortly after. Yeovil are now without a win in five and are one point above the drop.


Dagenham and Redbridge (23) 0-1 (17) Hartlepool United 

Hartlepool recorded their first win in four after a narrow victory against strugglers Dagenham. Billy Paynter headed in a Dan Jones cross for the games only goal, while Jamie Cureton was unable to end the Daggers eight game winless run as he squandered a late opportunity.


Barnet (19) 3-1 (21) York City 

Barnet took all three points as two strugglers met at the Hive. After a goalless first half, John Akinde gave the Bees the lead, slotting home after being played through, but Michael Coulson leveled with ten minutes remaining. Michael Gash restored the hosts advantage with a low free kick, before Josh Clarke sealed the points for Martin Allen’s side. It was the Bees first win in six, while York are now without a win in six.

Carlisle United Crawley Town Mansfield Town Morecambe Newport County

About Dale Ventham

Dale Ventham is an editor at The Sports Lowdown. He writes on the lower leagues of English football and Speedway in particular.

Check Also

Alt="Manchester United Vs Liverpool: Who will come out on top?

Preview: Manchester United Vs Liverpool

A fixture stuffed with world-class talents on either side, a battle rich in management giants, ...