Home / Football / League Two Review: 24 October

League Two Review: 24 October

Another cracking weekend of football in League Two has come to an end and this division never seizes to amaze; shock results and surprises aplenty. As usual, The Sports Lowdown brings you a full review of all the action:



View image | gettyimages.com

Luton Town (15) 1-2 (1) Plymouth Argyle 

Plymouth remain top of League Two after a late winner at Kenilworth Road against Luton. Carl McHugh gave the Pilgrims the lead, heading in Craig Tanner’s cross to give Derek Adams’s side the advantage at the break, but Luton leveled in the second half and despite goalkeeper Luke McCormack saving from Jack Marriott and Cameron McGheehan, Josh McQuoid found a way past the in-form shot stopper. But deep into stoppage time, Ryan Brunt finished from close range to send the travelling fans home happy, keeping them top of League Two.


Portsmouth (2) 0-0 (5) Mansfield Town 

Portsmouth are without a win in four at Fratton Park after a goalless draw against Mansfield. But the Stags had veteran goalkeeper Brian Jensen to thank after the 40 year old put in an outstanding performance, making numerous saves to help deny Pompey the opening goal. Both sides created chances, but a third successive home draw keeps Pompey 2nd, whilst Mansfield drop one place but are unbeaten on the road in four games.


Oxford United (3) 2-3 (18) Barnet 

The shock result in League Two came at the Kassam Stadium where high flyers Oxford were beaten by away day strugglers Barnet. Oxford, who were unbeaten in seven heading into this game, took the lead through midfielder Liam Sercombe, but Curtis Weston leveled for the visitors ten minutes later. Then two more goals from the Bees within two minutes; first John Akinde’s third goal in as many games before a Josh Clarke strike gave Martin Allen’s side a two goal advantage. Sercombe added his and the U’s second before half time but Barnet held on to claim their first away win of the season, whilst Oxford suffered their first home defeat since March.


View image | gettyimages.com

Northampton Town (4) 2-1 (20) Stevenage 

Northampton moved up one place in League Two after victory over Stevenage. But it was the Boro that lead at the break after Steven Schumacher’s deflected effort gave Teddy Sheringham’s the advantage. But five minutes into the second half, Dominic Calvert-Lewin netted his fifth league goal of the season, before Alfie Potter slid in to score what proved to be the winner. The result ends the Boro’s three game unbeaten run, but they’re yet to win away this season.


Morecambe (8) 0-1 (6) Leyton Orient 

Morecambe have struggled at the Globe Arena this season, and Leyton Orient continued that trend as they left the seaside town with all three points. The games only goal was fortuitous at best, as a Shrimps clearance hit O’s midfielder Jack Payne before rolling into the net. Morecambe pressed for an equaliser, but neither Shaun Miller or Tom Barkhuizen could find a way past the O’s defence. The result ends the Shrimps three game winning streak, and it was the O’s first away win in six.


Accrington Stanley (7) 3-1 (24) Dagenham and Redbridge 

Accrington returned to winning ways against Dagenham, as a result sending Wayne Burnett’s side bottom of the table. Stanley were two goals up by the break; first Seamus Coneely latching onto a Josh Windass corner within two minutes before Matty Pearson replicated the opener on the stroke of half time. Four minutes into the second half and Windass turned goalscorer as he met Piero Mingoia’s cross, and despite Nyron Nosworthy pulling one back for the Daggers, the strugglers couldn’t find a way back into the game. The result was Stanley’s first win in three, whist Dagenham haven’t won in nine games.


Wycombe Wanderers (10) 1-1 (9) Carlisle United 

Wycombe have dropped form of late after losing three games on the bounce, and they struggled again this time around against ten man Carlisle. Luke Joyce was dismissed for the Cumbrians midway through the first half for a challenge on Sam Wood, but Troy Archibald-Henville gave the visitors an early second half lead. Marcus Bean, who scored an own goal in Tuesday night’s defeat against Newport, hit the bar for the Chairboys, but their equaliser came right at the death when Paul Hayes lobbed keeper Mark Gillespie from outside the box to earn Gareth Ainsworth’s side a point. Wycombe have failed to win in three, whilst Carlisle have won once in four.


Exeter City (11) 1-1 (16) Notts County 

Notts County are without a win in seven games on the road after drawing at Exeter. The Grecians took the lead after twenty minutes when Tom Nichols, who scored three winner in Exeter’s victory over Cambridge on Wednesday night, cut inside before unleashing a twenty yard strike into the bottom corner. But the Magpies pressed for an equaliser and were unlucky when Izale McLeod hit the woodwork, but Liam Noble leveled the game shortly after.


View image | gettyimages.com

York City (21) 1-3 (12) AFC Wimbledon 

York City suffered another defeat at home against a resurgent Wimbledon side. The Dons took the lead into half time after Adebayo Azeez opened the scoring, but Vadaine Oliver leveled for the Minstermen early in the second half. But goals from Lyle Taylor and Tom Elliott sealed the win for Neal Ardley’s side, whilst York haven’t won in nine games as a result, and are without a win at Bootham Crescent in six.


Bristol Rovers (23) 1-4 (23) Newport County 

Newport County made it back to back away wins after a strong performance lifted John Sheridan’s side off the foot of the table. The Exiles took a rather fortuitous lead however when Tom Parkes headed into his own net, but Billy Bodin leveled for the Gas two minutes later with a terrific 25 yard strike. But two goals in five second half minutes from Zak Ansah killed off the contest, before Tommy O’Sullivan added a fourth late on with a long range effort. Newport have moved out of the gotten two, whilst the defeat was Rovers first in five, but they’re without a win at the Memorial Stadium in five.


Yeovil Town (23) 2-3 (14) Cambridge United 

Yeovil dropped into the bottom two after another home defeat, this time against Cambridge. The U’s raced into a 3-0 lead thanks to a Rory Gaffney brace and Luke Berry volley, before Ryan Bird reduced the deficit before the break. Josh Sheehan pulled another back for the Glovers with ten minutes remaining but Cambridge held on for the win, condemning Yeovil to a seventh game without victory .


Hartlepool United (19) 1-2 (17) Crawley Town 

Hartlepool suffered another disappointing home result as Crawley left Victoria Park with all three points. Scott Harrison was dismissed for the Pools midway through the second half after blocking an effort on goal on the line with his hand, and Simon Walton, a former Hartlepool player, successfully converted the resulting penalty. Rhys Murphy added a second for the Red before Billy Paynter reduced the with a header ten minutes from time, but Crawley held on to end back to back away defeats, whilst Hartlepool haven’t won at home in six.

Carlisle United Dagenham and Redbridge Exeter City Mansfield Town Newport County Stevenage

About Dale Ventham

Dale Ventham is an editor at The Sports Lowdown. He writes on the lower leagues of English football and Speedway in particular.

Check Also

Ligue 1 Review Gameweek 21

Embed from Getty Images   Monaco strengthened their lead at the top of the table ...