Home / Football / League Two Review: 13 February

League Two Review: 13 February

It may have been Valentines weekend, but League Two showed no signs of love. A total of six players in twelve games were sent off, in addition to a staggering 37 goals. Vital wins for the top three as the leaders move clear of the chasing pack, whilst the was a shuffle amongst the bottom sides. Here is your League Two Review:

Embed from Getty Images

Leyton Orient 0-4 Northampton Town

Northampton kept their advantage at the top of League Two after a comprehensive second half performance made it seven successive wins at Leyton Orient. After a goalless first half, defender Rod McDonald’s overhead kick put Chris Wilder’s side ahead, before Ricky Holmes saw his 20 yard volley double the Cobblers lead. Two late goals from Shrewsbury loanee James Collins sealed the win to give Northampton a real fighting chance of achieving automatic promotion this season.


Plymouth Argyle 3-0 Mansfield Town 

Plymouth kept pressure on Northampton with a comfortable win at home over promotion hopefuls Mansfield. Gregg Wylde’s volley from outside the box put the Pilgrims ahead, before Ryan Brunt doubled the hosts advantage from the spot for Krystian Pearce fouled Peter Hartley. Stags defender Ryan Tafazolli hit the post with a header, before Brunt added his second late on with a header to complete the win.


Morecambe 2-4 Oxford United 

Oxford put Tuesday night’s draw behind them with a win at Morecambe. The U’s were 2-1 up against Mansfield on Tuesday before a Jack Thomas equaliser late on shared the spoils, but they began this game brightly and took an early lead through Kemar Roofe. But Morecambe, who’ve now suffered five straight defeats, leveled through Lee Molyneux’s lob to send the sides in level at the break. The Shrimps were then reduced to ten men with twenty minutes remaining after Shaun Miller was dismissed for a foul on Joe Skarz, and from there the U’s became rampant with three quick goals. First, midfielder John Lundstram fumbled in a loose ball, then Danny Hylton pounced on a rebound, before Jordan Bowery’s cool finish put the U’s in control. A late strike from Tom Barkhuizen reduced the deficit but it wasn’t enough.

Embed from Getty Images

Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 Exeter City 

Wycombe moved up to 4th with a win at home against Exeter. Jayden Stockley came close for the Grecians in the first half, but his header was off target, before former Wycombe man Joel Grant saw his effort saved by Ryan Allsop. The games only goal came early in the second half when Stephen McGinn scored his first Chairboys goal, curling in from 25 yards.


Portsmouth 3-1 Bristol Rovers 

Pompey moved back up the table after victory over play-off rivals Bristol Rovers, who drop to 8th as a result. Gareth Evans chipped Pompey into the lead, before Swindon Town loanee Michael Smith headed in a second on the stroke of half time. Mark McNulty added a third for Portsmouth with twenty minutes remaining, before Lee Brown scored a late consolation for the Gas.


Accrington Stanley 4-1 Crawley Town 

Accrington kept their play-off hopes alive with a comfortable but feisty home win over Crawley. Crawley midfielder Gwion Edwards gave the visitors a half time lead, but Billy Kee tapped in the equaliser early in the second half. Then, an unsporting clash between Simon Walton and Shay McCartan saw both players dismissed, before Stanley substitute keeper Jason Mooney was also dismissed after running onto the pitch during the melee. Despite the man disadvantage, Stanley added late goals through Matty Pearson, Seamus Conneely and Piero Mingoia to seal the win and move up to 6th.

Embed from Getty Images

AFC Wimbledon 4-1 Luton Town 

AFC Wimbledon moved up to 10th after a terrific home win over Luton. Ryan Sweeney headed the hosts into the lead, before Lyle Taylor headed in Andy Barcham’s cross two minutes later to double the Dons advantage. Two minutes into the second half, Sean Rigg struck a third from 18 yards, before Taylor added his second and Wimbledon’s fourth two minutes later. Jack Marriott did pull one back for the Hatters, but it wasn’t enough as Neal Ardley’s side recorded their fifth win in their last six games.


Stevenage 2-0 Cambridge United 

Life without Teddy Sheringham has began positively for Stevenage who have now won back to back games following Tuesday night’s win at Hartlepool and Saturday’s home game against Cambridge. Byron Harrison, a former Boro player who was part of the side that won promotion to League One in 2011, opened the scoring after a long goal kick lobbed the U’s keeper, before Harrison tapped in the opener. Ben Williamson hit the post as Cambridge looked for an equaliser, but the Chesterfield loanee Harrison added a second midway through the second half.


Newport County 1-0 Carlisle United 

Newport County made it back to back wins with victory over Carlisle. Top scorer Scott Bodin netted his eleventh league goal of the season in the second half, tapping in from Alex Rodman’s assist. For the Exiles, this was their first home win since November, whilst for Carlisle, who lost Brandon Conley to a second yellow late on, they’ll be disappointed with the result.


Dagenham and Redbridge 0-2 Barnet 

Dagenham suffered yet another home defeat, their fifth in succession, as they dropped to the bottom of League Two. Josh Labadie came close for John Still’s Daggers, but Luke Gambin weaved through the defence to open the scoring for the Bees. Michael Nelson doubled the visitors lead in the second half, heading in Chris Hackett’s cross to record the Bees second away win of the season.


York City 2-1 Notts County 

York moved off the bottom of League Two as they made it back to back home wins against Notts County. But the Magpies came close early on after Jon Stead hit the bar, but Michael Coulson lobbed Roy Carroll to give the Minstermen the lead. Kenny McEvoy crossed for Bradley Fewster to double the lead before the break, before a Lubo Satko own goal reduced the deficit for the visitors. But York held on and despite moving off the bottom, they remain in the bottom two.


Hartlepool United 2-1 Yeovil Town

After a midweek defeat at home to Stevenage, Hartlepool parted company with manager Ronnie Moore, but life under new manager Craig Hignett began positively as the Pools won at home against fellow strugglers Yeovil. Pools forward Jake Gray hit the bar early doors in an otherwise uneventful first half, but the hosts took the lead in the second after Jakub Sokolik fouled Nathan Thomas in the box, and Billy Paynter scored from the spot. Adam Jackson doubled the Pools lead, heading in from a corner, before the visitors were reduced to ten aftet Nathan Smith was dismissed for shoving Paynter. Francois Zoko did pull one back in injury time but Hartlepool held on to move above the Glovers into 21st.

Accrington Stanley Dagenham and Redbridge Hartlepool United

About Dale Ventham

My name is Dale Ventham, and I am the CEO and owner at The Sports Lowdown. I enjoy writing about all levels of football, particularly in England but occasionally Europe too, and as an Oxford United fan, I also enjoy writing about the lower leagues. I am also a fan of speedway, and cover major tournaments.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...