Home / Football / League Two Review: 30 January

League Two Review: 30 January

Embed from Getty Images

The final weekend of League Two action in January comes to a close and it seemed a good day for away sides in the division as only two home sides recorded all three points. There were dropped points for promotion chasers and some vital points for sides at the wrong end of the table. Here is your League Two Review:


Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Wycombe Wanderers 

Plymouth missed the chance to move back to the top of League Two after Derek Adams’s side lost at home to promotion rivals Wycombe. Gozie Ugwu opened the scoring for the Chairboys in the third minute, while Pilgrims midfielder Curtis Nelson saw his effort cleared off the line as the hosts looked for an equaliser. But Wycombe held on to claim a valuable three points, whilst with Oxford and Northampton both in FA Cup action, Plymouth will look at this as points dropped.


Accrington Stanley 1-0 Bristol Rovers 

One of only two home victories saw Accrington Stanley beat promotion rivals Bristol Rovers at the Crown Ground. Rory Gaffney headed wide for the visitors, before Stanley’s Adam Buxton forced a save from goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall from 20 yards. But Sean McConville’s strike sealed the win for Stanley who bounce back from last weekend’s defeat. Like Plymouth, Bristol Rovers will certainly look at this as points dropped, by the promotion hopefuls remain in the playoffs.


AFC Wimbledon 2-3 Yeovil Town

Wimbledon suffered a shock home defeat as Neal Ardley’s side lost to strugglers Yeovil. The Dons, who had previously won four games in succession, did take the lead through David Fitzpatrick, but Jack Compton leveled. Tom Elliott restored the hosts lead with a volley, before Compton’s second leveled again before the break. And after Kevin Dawson fouled Callum Kennedy, Compton stepped up to complete his hattrick from the spot and earn Yeovil back to back wins, in doing so moving them out of the relegation zone.


Crawley Town 0-1 Mansfield Town

Crawley lost their fifth home game of the season as Mansfield left the Broadfield Stadium with all three points. In the first half,Stags striker Matt Green was denied by Red Devils keeper Callum Preston, but the visitors didn’t take the lead midway through the second half thanks to a Chris Beardsley header. The only downer on an otherwise good day for Adam Murray’s side, was that Green received a second yellow late on, resulting in a suspension for their next game.


Leyton Orient 1-3 Cambridge United 

Cambridge left Leyton Orient with a vital three points thanks to a brace from Ben Williamson. Williamson capitalised on Fraser Shaw’s poor back-pass to round goalkeeper Alex Cisak to out the U’s infront, and the same player doubled the visitors advantage early in the second half with a low drive. Armand Gnanduillet did pull one back for Kevin Nolan’s side, but a late strike from Jimmy Spencer sealed the win for Shaun Derry and his Cambridge side.

Embed from Getty Images

Hartlepool United 0-2 Exeter City 

Exeter made it three wins in succession with victory at Hartlepool. Alex Nicholls headed in a Lee Holmes cross ten minutes before the break, before Pools Nathan Thomas missed the chance to level. It proved costly as with time running out, the Grecians launched a counter attack which resulted in Joel Grant finishing from Jayden Stockley’s cross.


Luton Town 0-2 Notts County

A second successive away win for County see’s them move up the table. After a goalless first half in which Cameron McGheehan saw his effort for the Hatters saved by Roy Carroll, an unfortunate own goal from Alan Sheehan gave the Magpies the lead, before striker Jon Stead put the game beyond doubt with twenty minutes remaining.


Morecambe 1-2 Newport County 

Newport recorded a vital win at Morecambe, in doing so condemning the Shrimps to a third successive defeat. Newport, who have now won three from their last ten, took an early lead through Scott Boden, but Shaun Miller leveled in the second half for the hosts. But Boden netted his and the Exiles second in ten minutes later to give the visitors the win.


York City 2-1 Stevenage

York recorded just their fourth win of the season thanks to a late strike at Bootham Crescent. The Minstermen did take the lead through Kenny McEvoy, but a stunning 30 yard strike from Boro’s Keith Keane brought the game level. But deep into stoppage time, Danny Galbraith picked the ball up from 40 yards before running to the edge of the box and firing in a low drive. York stay bottom, but the three points could be vital in their bid for survival, whilst Teddy Sheringham’s Stevenage are without a win in eight.


FA Cup:

League leaders Northampton, 3rd placed Oxford and play-off hopefuls Portsmouth and Carlisle were all in FA Cup action over the weekend.

Accrington Stanley Exeter City Mansfield Town

About Dale Ventham

My name is Dale Ventham, and I am the CEO and owner at The Sports Lowdown. I enjoy writing about all levels of football, particularly in England but occasionally Europe too, and as an Oxford United fan, I also enjoy writing about the lower leagues. I am also a fan of speedway, and cover major tournaments.

Check Also

Champions League – 13/9

It was another good night in Europe for English sides as both Tottenham and Manchester ...