Home / Football / League Two Review: 1 March

League Two Review: 1 March

Nearly a full set of fixtures across League Two took place last night, and as usual, The Sports Lowdown brings you a review of all the action.

Embed from Getty Images

Northampton Town 1-1 AFC Wimbledon 

Northampton remain top of League Two despite a successive draw at home against AFC Wimbledon. Midfielder John-Joe O’Toole put the Cobblers ahead on the stroke of half time, bundling the ball home from a Joel Byrom corner, but Lyle Taylor curled home the equaliser midway through the second half. Despite the dropped points, Chris Wilder’s side are still eleven points above the side in 2nd, and an incredible nineteen points above the side in 4th, following a run of just one defeat in 21 league games. As for the Dons, they stay 8th, just outside the playoffs.


Oxford United 4-0 York City 

Oxford United moved up to 2nd after the U’s recorded their first home win of 2016 against a struggling York side. Jordan Bowery netted his first Kassam goal of the season after fifteen minutes, bundling the ball in after Callum O’Dowda saw his effort saved to give the hosts a half time lead. The U’s doubled their advantage in the second half when defender Chey Dunkley headed home from a corner, before a sublime effort from Danny Hylton and late finish from top scorer Kemar Roofe completed the rout. The U’s move up to 2nd following Plymouth’s defeat at Barnet, with York staying just above the drop.


Barnet 1-0 Plymouth Argyle 

Plymouth drop to 3rd as they suffered their third away defeat of the season at Barnet. Argyle lost two key players to potentially serious injuries; first Jordon Foster suffered a head injury before Ryan Brunt was replaced late on. Reuben Reid and James Pearson came close for the Pilgrims in the first half, but skipper Andy Yiadom’s goal twenty minutes from time gave the Bees their tenth home win of the season; only league leaders Northampton have won more games at home. Plymouth welcome Oxford to Home Park next time out in what should be a cracking game from both promotion chasing sides.

Embed from Getty Images

Yeovil Town 1-0 Accrington Stanley 

Accrington Stanley suffered a setback in their bid for automatic promotion as they lost at a resurgent Yeovil side. Stanley forward Billy Kee saw an effort saved by Artur Krysiak, who also denied Shay McCartan and Sean McConville, but Ryan Dickson netted after Francois Zoko played a pinpoint through ball to extend the Glovers unbeaten run to four, leaving them six points clear off the drop.


Exeter City 1-1 Portsmouth 

Portsmouth conceded another late goal as they drew at Exeter. Jayden Stockley, who had been on loan at Pompey earlier in the season, came close twice for the Grecians in the first half, but Conor Chaplin capitalised on a defensive error to put the visitors ahead. But in stoppage time, Ollie Watkins netted the equaliser to earn the Grecians a point.


Bristol Rovers 4-1 Hartlepool United 

Bristol Rovers bounced back from their defeat at the weekend with a rampant win at home against Hartlepool. Matty Taylor put the Gas ahead after ten minutes, before Rory Gaffney added a second after 31 minutes. Taylor added a second before the break to send the hosts in at half time in complete control, but Billy Paynter reduced the deficit in the second half. But Taylor completed his hattrick shortly after to move Derek Adams’s side back up to 6th, whilst the Pools remain just above the drop.


Carlisle United 2-2 Leyton Orient 

Carlisle defender Michael Raynes netted a late equaliser as the Cumbrians drew at home against Leyton Orient. Keith Curle’s side took an early lead after Macauley Gillespey saw his free kick sail in, but second half goals from Jay Simpson and Ollie Palmer put the O’s ahead. Then, defender Raynes headed Alex Gilliead’s cross to earn a point for the hosts. Kevin Nolan’s side remain in the playoffs, with Carlisle sitting just outside.

Embed from Getty Images

Cambridge United 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers 

Cambridge recorded a third successive home win as they beat promotion chasing Wycombe at the Abbey Stadium. Defender Josh Coulson met Ryan Ledson’s cross, albeit with a deflection, for the games only goal, whilst Chairboys’ Anthony Stewart saw an effort cleared off the line by defender Leon Legge. Wycombe drop to 9th, whilst Cambridge close the gap on the sides in the playoffs.


Luton Town 1-0 Morecambe 

Luton made it three wins in succession as they won against a struggling Morecambe side at Kenilworth Road. Craig Mackail-Smith came closest for the Hatters, before Kevin Ellison and Chris Doyle failed to find the back of the net when the Shrimps attacked, but with fifteen minutes remaining, Jack Marriott netted from a tight angle to give the Hatters the win. Morecambe have now suffered eight defeats from their last nine games, and could be edging closer to a relegation scrap as the season’s draws to a close.


Crawley Town 2-0 Newport County 

Crawley netted twice for the first time in their last ten games as they beat Newport County at the Broadfield Stadium. However, the opener came from an unfortunate own goal from Exiles forward Scott Boden, who headed into the wrong net! From there, a Shamir Fenelon header sealed the win, before Medi Elito was dismissed for the visitors late on after picking up a second yellow.


Notts County 0-0 Dagenham and Redbridge 

Bottom club Dagenham picked up a point as they drew at Notts County. But it could have been more; Magpies keeper Scott Loach in fine form to deny Christian Doidge and Matt Richards, whilst Jon Stead went closest for the hosts.

About Dale Ventham

Dale Ventham is an editor at The Sports Lowdown. He writes on the lower leagues of English football and Speedway in particular.

Check Also


Spieth Criticism is Unjustified

Embed from Getty Images Since he exploded onto the golfing scene, Jordan Spieth has enjoyed ...